Letter Home (SEND: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania / FROM: Corporal Frank Hill / TOWARDS: Elizabeth Hill)

My Dearest Elizabeth,

It's been four days since the war had reached upon the land, to say I yearn for your presence is an understatement. As time passes by, I come face to face with the reality that our Union is crumbling apart. The predicament and quandary i'm facing distraught's me and keeps me up at night with turbulent thoughts . The decision our government took in order to deal with the south's way of life is utterly ridiculous. I was taken away from our family because society couldn't prevent the south from believing the government wanted to abolish slavery. I realize my reasoning for preventing mayhem among the nation is incomprehensible, dehumanization and human confinement is morally wrong, people would be blind not try and find a way to prevent it from spreading, but the whole union shouldn't be the one to suffer for the mistakes of a portion of society.

In the past week, our forces had confronted shameful defeat. We had to surrender Fort Sumter over to Confederate forces. We were located at the mouth of Charleston, South Carolina Harbor, we were at the command of Major Anderson. We had four to six weeks of supplies left, food was growing scarce, and with 70 people the food wouldn't last too long. Major Anderson sent a message to president Lincoln stating we needed reinforcements at Fort Sumter. Out of nowhere the Confederacy said they would shoot re-supply ships if we were to not surrender Fort Sumter.  At this point I was concerned for what would happened to us, you know that i'm not that much of a social person and tend to stay quiet. I would always try to come up to General Major Anderson to try and convince him to ally with the Confederate forces and stop the chaos from growing furthermore but never did in fear he would degrade me or punish me in some way for being immoral.

When the first shot was heard I was in my bunk along with my roommate who was an old friend from home who also came along , unlike me,he had s solid idea of what he thought was right and wrong. Major Anderson could be heard calling for us to get outside and fight, his commands were barely audible with all the ruckus and shooting. I still can't believe General Major Anderson surrendered to the Confederacy. First we have the secession of South Carolina and the other states, now we have the surrender of Fort Sumter. After the surrender of Fort Sumter, President Lincolns called for 75,000 volunteers to form and army. Me and my friend were alongside many others who were sent in a ship towards wherever we were destined to go and battle next. The thoughts of carrying a gun in my hand once again brings me discomfort. Violence is not the answer towards ending slavery.

I mention all of this to so you wont worry about my whereabouts,please take care of our family.I know our children don't know about were I am,  I rather for them not to know, the last thing I want is for them to freak out even more than they are due to the war. Francis is about to turn 16, I left some money in my drawer,give it to him in his birthday. Please make sure he doesn't try and look for me, as stubborn and caring he is, I don't want him risking his life looking for me. Inform me about the conditions of our family farm and the church. 

Remember God will always be beside you, and so will I. As long as you have that pendant I gave you in our 5 year anniversary, you will always have a part of me. Stay strong for our family,I'll pray for all of your safety and for the business of the family farm. God bless you for being my wife, I love you and I hope for this war to end so I can return to you, take care.

With Love,
Your loving Husband, Frank Hill






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1861 Journal Entries of Jesse McGee ( blog post #1 )